Our forefathers and their forefathers had their remedies to deal with ailments and strengthen their metabolism. There is no doubt about the effectiveness of those ancient natural remedies. Most of them are still in use, with improved effectiveness through applying various techniques. One of these evergreen natural products is apple cider vinegar. As the famous saying unwrap the rewarding results
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."
Yes, this simple kitchen staple is a fountain of youth!
History of Apple Cider Vinegar
- The history of apple cider vinegar is as old as 400 B.C. when the father of medicine, "Hippocrates," used to prescribe apple cider vinegar mixed with honey to treat coughs and colds.
- Song Ci, the Chinese forefather of forensic medicine, advised taking vinegar and sulfur together in 1200 BC to prevent infection during autopsies.
- In 1958, the book Folk Medicine, published by D.C. Jarvis, M.D., called apple cider vinegar a "cure-all" remedy due to its potassium enrichment.
Minerals and Vitamins in Apple Cider Vinegar
You must be eager to know the hype about apple cider vinegar. It’s all because of its base nutrients. Lend me your ears as I’m going to explain it all in New York time:
- It contains minerals like potassium, sodium, phosphorous, boron, iron, magnesium.
- It contains vitamins B1, B2, B6, and vitamin C
- It contains organic acid including, acetic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, niacin, folic acid, and pantothenic acid.
Now you know why it is called a cure-all remedy.
Research on Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
The research on this ancient forgotten remedy has unfolded thousands of hidden benefits that have been left in clouds over the search for exotic fruit drinks.
- In 2009, research was conducted on mice for evaluating the effect of apple cider vinegar on weight loss, and the excellent results awed the doctors.
- In 2015 a study revealed that apple cider vinegar consumption helps control the blood sugar level.
- In 2018, research conducted by D.Yagnik and coworkers revealed the antibacterial activity of apple cider vinegar.
- In 2015 S.M. Hassan and coworkers reported the antifungal potential of apple cider vinegar.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Now without wasting any bit of time, let's move to researched and proclaimed benefits of this food.
Manage blood sugar levels
Blood sugar management is still on top among the thousands of claimed benefits of apple cider vinegar. There are plenty of studies supporting the effect of ACV in this regard. A meal containing ACV improves insulin and glucose levels.
Aids in weight loss
As crazy as it may sound at first, this wonder food is capable of much more than you think. There are bunches of interesting studies supporting the satiating and fullness effect of ACV in any meal based on white bread.
Controls blood pressure
Through controlling "renin," a hormone responsible for dilation and contraction of blood vessels, ACV keeps a strict check on blood pressure.
Manage blood cholesterol
Apple cider vinegar has plenty of claims as a cholesterol manager as it lessens the LDL (bad cholesterol) and escalates the HDL (good cholesterol)
Metabolism and ACV
Apple cider vinegar has an excellent contribution to the digestive system as well.
- It assists in reducing bloating
- Improve digestion
- Get rid of heartburn
ACV is an easy and quick way to fight and kill bacteria. Because of this effect, ACV is used to treat bacterial infections and disinfect wounds.
The Final Verdict
The cat is out of the bag; as now you know, this kitchen staple, in addition to cooking, has an extensive list of benefits, including medicinal uses, beauty hacks to nourish your skin and hair, and a never-ending list of health benefits. Undoubtedly, apple cider vinegar is a heart-throbbing remedy and continues to surprise scientists each year with new health benefits!